February 12th, 2007
Winter? Don’t care for it. Spring? Those frigid Chicago springs turned me off on the concept. Summer? Awesome. The hotter the better. Walking back from the grocer yesterday I got an thought, and I’m laying out the start of that thought here. It’s a plan called…
The first question is: What makes for an awesome summer? Here’s what I’ve got so far, feel free to contribute your ingredients.
- A good porch. What makes a good porch?
- comfy chairs,
- an interesting view,
- maybe a water balloon slingshot.
- Road trips. Denver’s kind of in the middle of nowhere, so the destinations are fuzzy. That’s okay, heck, “south” could be a destination. But a car, or motorcycle…or, hey, lots of motorcycles are definitely necessary. If it’s a car, one with a sunroof would be good. And maybe a water balloon slingshot mounted on the passenger-side door.
- Afternoon Drinking. Sarah says it’s legal to drink in Denver’s parks. That just seems like the parks department is asking for trouble, but hey, cool.
- Frisbee, Miniature Golf. Could be paired with “Afternoon Drinking” for more fun. Adding “Water Fights” to Frisbee or Miniature Golf is also acceptable. (Via Sarah)
- Water Fights. Last year this went hand-in-hand with Chicago. It could also be paired with afternoon drinking. I hope I don’t have to wait that long this time around. (Thank Tammy for the tip)
- Fireworks. I don’t know what Colorado’s attitude toward fireworks is, but considering this state is a bunch of desert (and some mountains on the side), you’d figure Colorado wouldn’t care what you blow up. I might be optimistic. (Thanks for the tip, Laura)
- Chicago. I’m going out there mid-July, so that’s in the works. Chicago’s the best in the summer, and it’s pretty darn good on vacation.
- Vacation. Time to start working up those comp hours / saving up those vacation days now.
- Getting stuff done. If you know me you’ve probably heard of that to-do list I’ve got running. To-do lists of non-awesomesummer related activities have no place in summer. So, while “getting stuff done” doesn’t have to do with summer, it’s a necessary ingredient for awesome summer.
- People. Summer alone may be peaceful, but it probably won’t be awesome. So if you’re in Denver and interested in coming along with Awesome Summer, hey, drop a line.
That said, I’m sure there will be more ingredients added to Awesome Summer as it gets near. Also, in light of this Lame Winter, I may be writing this season off while I conjure up some preparations … and if you have an awesome porch, let me know.